I am a student teacher so most people are shocked at my determination to continue to come to school despite this illness that has been knocking me down for 2 weeks. Well, I’m really feeling awful and debating what the cost vs. benefit would be to call out. Most people are pretty shocked that I wouldn’t want to call out, can’t my co-op just take over? And therein lies the issue…
Reasons I’m scared to call out:
- I get this whole week to discover, play, work with, and learn surface area with my juniors. If I call out tomorrow, he will take out the textbook and teach them to memorize formulas and suck up my week.
- Our classroom management styles are different. It’s taken me 2 months but my juniors finally get in, get seated and get to work. They have better attitudes, their grades are improving, they are studying and they are learning. I realize it may be foolish to think in one day he can un-do all this but my guess is if I’m not there to teach, he might just sit back and go for another day of coloring.
- The seniors hate me already and my absence does not solidify my role as their teacher. I just started teaching them 3 weeks ago and they do not like to think, work, or get started quickly after having my co-op for the first month of school. They are a challenge and I’m scared losing them for a day would be extremely detrimental to this very slow process we are on.
- I like to go to work. I am excited to teach about surface and area and federal income tax to the seniors.
- After writing this I probably will just stay home. Bummer.